Group-Rating Safety Accountability Letter 2021
RE: Group-Rating Safety Accountability
Each year Ohio employers have the opportunity to participate in BWC’s Group-Experience-Rating Program or Group-Retrospective-Rating Program. While these programs are not required, they do provide you with an opportunity to significantly reduce your workers’ compensation premiums, while increasing your awareness of safety and risk-management strategies.
Workplace safety is an important component of these programs. To succeed in accident prevention, we encourage you to use the many resources available to you. We believe a group-rating program is a partnership that includes you and your employees, your sponsoring organization or third-party administrator (TPA) and BWC. Each has specific roles and responsibilities, all designed to assist in preventing workplace accidents. This letter outlines the safety services expectations you should have as an employer enrolled in a group-rating program.
The employer will:
• Attend safety training to enhance workplace safety;
• Use BWC’s safety services as needed;
• Fulfill the required two-hour training requirement and provide proof of attendance to sponsor for claim(s)
occurring within the last year.
• Provide information regarding safety resources to group members;
• Possibly assist an employer in achieving its safety needs;
• Manage employer fulfillment of the two-hour training requirement, where applicable;
• Publish this letter to group members.
• Assist an employer with its safety needs;
• Work in conjunction with sponsors to develop safety training and deliver safety resources;
• Provide resources for claims handling.
• Remain in communication with sponsoring organizations to provide recommendations for fulfilling safety requirements;
• Provide safety training through Ohio’s Center for Occupational Safety & Health;
• Offer on-site safety consultation (hazard assessments, air and noise monitoring, ergonomics evaluation, training) by a BWC safety professional;
• Offer publications and videos for safety program support;
• Conduct employer visits to confirm the employer is meeting group-rating requirements, when appropriate.
TPA: Richland Area Chamber & Economic Development
BWC: https://www.bwc.ohio.gov/employer/services/safetyhygiene.asp, email@example.com