Monster Painting Project
What is the Monster Painting Project?
The Monster Painting Project is a part of A Field of Monsters, which is a free community art project open to all ages running Sept. 4 through Oct. 31, 2021, in downtown Mansfield.
We have all experienced monsters (be it psychologically or sociologically.) The purpose of A Field of Monsters is to encourage the creation of art derived from monsters and start community conversations. Everyone has monsters, but how we deal with them is what matters.
How does it work?
1. Go to a thrift store.
2. Purchase a landscape or other type of painting that looks like it needs a monster in it. (The cheesier, the better. Google “monster landscapes” for inspiration.) You can also use a painting you already own buried in your attic or garage.
3. Add a monster (or a few) to your painting.
4. Submit the online sign-up form: https://forms.gle/Wzfjkpc2XSK2P86z7
5. Display your work. Drop it off at The Phoenix Brewing Company, 131 N. Diamond Street, Mansfield, Ohio on August 23 & 24, 2021, 10 am – 6 pm.
6. Sell your work! The artist gets 90% minus sales tax and 10% goes to The Richland Community Development Group (RCDG) Mansfield Art Sector to help with future projects.
Don’t forget to share your image with us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/a_field_of_monsters/.
- This project is all about reusing and recycling! Please follow this simple request and find a painting at a garage sale or thrift store, or in your basement or attic (just ask your mom before you take it!)
- Works must be pre-registered. You can register here: https://forms.gle/Wzfjkpc2XSK2P86z7. One entry per person please.
- All paintings must be named (“Untitled” doesn’t count as a name.) Your name and contact information must also accompany your entry.
- All pieces must be framed and ready to hang with wire hangers. Works with sawtooth hangers will be refused.
- Please use good taste, and do not use derogatory images. The committee holds the right to deny a submission if it is deemed offensive.
- Please be conscious of the price point you are setting. We can help with suggestions, but think about what you spent, how much time you spent creating, and what you wish to get back. The breakdown for sales is 90% to the artist minus taxes and 10% to the RCDG Mansfield Act Sector. You can also donate your painting, so all proceeds go to the Mansfield Art Sector to help build their funds for future art projects. If your work is sentimental or is already sold, the other option is to label it For Display Only/ Not For Sale (NFS).
Other A Field of Monsters Events:
Mansfield Monster Symposium
A Community Symposium hosted by the Mansfield Playhouse in collaboration with the RCDG Mansfield Art Sector, The Ohio State University, the North End Community Improvement Collaborative, the Richland County Health Department, and the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library will lead discussions on monsters. Topics include: The Monster-The Myth, Social Aspects of Monsters, The Monster Within, Perceived Monsters, and Monsters in Media (comics, film, literature, etc.) Speakers include Dr. Steven Joyce, Dr. Dawn Kitchen, Dr. Phil Mazzocco, Dr. Christopher Howard, and Dr. Stan Jefferson. Each presenter will have 5-7 minute to present about monsters and how they relate to their field of study. After that, presenters will take questions from the audience. Mary Frankenfield, Deputy Director of the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library will MC the event. Tickets are $10.00 for general public and $8.00 for students.
A Field of Monsters Coloring Contest, Sept 5.-Oct. 20, 2021
This free Coloring Contest is for all ages! Grab your Monster Coloring Sheet from the Richland Carrousel Park, or download and print it from our website www.mansfieldohio.art. Return your finished work to the Carrousel by Oct. 20th for a free ride. Works will be put on display and juried. Prizes will be awarded in each age group. Winners announced on October 23. Age Categories include: Preschool, 1st and 2nd Grade, 3rd, 4th and 5 grade, Jr High, High school, Open, and, Senior category.
A Monster Ball
Richland Academy of the Arts - Oct. 16, 2021, 7:00-10:30 PM. A costume/masquerade ball. Cash bar, Costume Contest, DJ & Dancing, and Art Auction. Tickets are $25.00 a person. More details to be announced.
More events to come. Follow “Field of Monsters” on Facebook and Instagram for updates.
For More Details: https://mansfieldohio.art/
Sponsorship checks can be mailed or dropped off as follows:
Richland Area Chamber & Economic Development
ATTN: Patrick Clinage, Sector Coordinator
55 N Mulberry ST
Mansfield, OH 44902
Memo: Monster Project